Fetch, Flip, Check, Repeat
- FETCH – Students spend about 1-minute reading over and trying to memorise some of the facts from Knowledge Organiser box. The amount students try to remember in one go depends on their ability. Most students will need to cover over what they have previously written, with their knowledge organiser or hand, to stop them from looking back. Students will focus on just a few sentences or bullet points at a time. Students are trying to memorise the spelling of the words, the order of the words and any punctuation or grammar used.
- FLIP – Students Flip over or shut their Knowledge Organiser, get out their Knowledge Retriever and try to write down anything that they can remember from the knowledge that the just did Fetch on. Students must not look back at the Knowledge Organiser or what they have written previously. Most students will need to cover over what they have previously written with their Knowledge Organiser or hand to stop them looking back. Most students will not be able to write down everything that was in the Knowledge Organiser perfectly, which means they are doing the process correctly. This process only works when students struggle and think hard in trying to remember what was written without looking back at the Knowledge Organiser.
- CHECK – in a different coloured pen (preferably green, purple or red), students open their Knowledge Organisers and check every word and spelling from the box that they were focusing on. If it is all correct, then students tick at the end of what they have written. Student make any needed corrections just above what they are correcting; they do not use a new line to do this. The Knowledge Retriever having lots of corrections is a good indication that students are doing the process correctly.
- REPEAT - Students repeat the process over and over again, incorporating more and more of the Knowledge Organiser box that they are focusing on until they have completed the correct amount expected for that subject. Even if a student seems to have memorised the content, they still must continue to do the process of Fetch, Flip, Check and Repeat until they have completed the required amount in their Knowledge Retriever. Students do not start a new line each time they to Flip or write out a new bullet point. They may use // to indicate that they are doing the next repeat, but it is key that students use all the space provided.
- Complete the correct number of pages as directed.
- Use a double margin on every page.
- Have a title and date on every page of the Knowledge Retriever.
- Use the process of Fetch, Flip, Check and Repeat on every page.
- Not just copy out the material from the Knowledge Organiser.
- Not answer the questions at the bottom of the Knowledge Organiser in their Knowledge Retriever.
- Not leave more than three lines, in total, blank on any one page.
- Not have uncharacteristically poor presentation.
- Bring their Knowledge Organiser and Knowledge Retriever into school every day.